A claim on social media via a satirical website that hundreds of people had become sickened and died after eating the Patti LaBelle brand Potato Pie are false.
Website ReportQuickly published the talltail claiming hundreds of people had met their demise after consuming ‘Patti’s Sweet Potato Pie,’ a brand of pie named for the singer.
As of November 13th, 234 people have been reported dead after consumption of the famous Patti’s Sweet Potato Pie, which are being pulled off of the shelves of Wal-Mart stores. The popular desert rose to fame after a video review of the pie went viral. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, approximately 100,000 pies produced in October and November were tainted with Tetrodotoxin, a venomous substance found in the blue ringed octopus and puff fish. The venom is tasteless and can kill a human being within minutes of consumption. Moments after consumption, a victim will become paralyzed and blood flow to the brain is immediately stopped. According to the CDC, the pies were produced in the same factory that thousands of puffer fish are devenomized and prepared. The CDC and FDA are currently running an investigation on the factory to find out how the pies were tainted. In the meantime, the company has issued a recall on the pies and Walmart will be accepting returns.
ReportQuickly describes itself as “a combination of real shocking news and satire news” and warns that “articles written on this site are for entertainment and satirical purposes only.”