Local authorities are investigating after the medical examiner’s initial tests confirmed the lacing of the powerful hallucinogenic drug into the family’s meat.
Jessica Rosado, who was nine months pregnant, was transported to the hospital were she was induced into labor. Ronnie Morales, the boyfriend, and her two young daughters also fell ill after eating portions of a bottom round steak bought from a local Tampa, FL., Walmart.
The family had moved to the area only two days earlier and it was the first meal they had cooked in their new house.
Police took samples of the food the family had been eating from the home. The Hillsborough County medical examiner’s office told police on Friday that the steak was contaminated, and that tests showed the presence of lysergic acid diethylamide, or LSD, police said.
Police also took the family’s oven away for testing. Results from toxicology tests on blood samples taken from the family may take another three weeks, police said.
“There was enough of some type of substance to make all four members of that family gravely ill,” Jane Castor, Tampa’s police chief, told a press conference on Friday. “The family has no idea where this may have come from.” source
Police said they were still investigating how a steak might end up contaminated in this way but already some are doubting the official story, citing LSD being a more-or-less fragile chemical which can quickly degrade even at room temperature or when exposed to light, much less when cooked in a steak.
If the test results stand true, it may open another can of worms as to exactly how a steak might be dosed with LSD in a way that it could retain its potency even when cooked.
Walmart took no immediate action other than removing bottom round steaks from the shelves, the same cut the family consumed. Cops took samples from the discarded steaks for testing.
It is safe to assume that cops are treating this ordeal as an isolated case.