A man who had just been convicted of burning down his own $3.5 million mansion quietly took a mystery pill and died in the courtroom.

Michael Marin, 53, was found guilty of arson in Maricopa County when he appeared to close his eyes and put something in his mouth washing it down with liquid in a plastic water bottle.


The horrified courtroom watched as he then fell to the floor a few minutes later going into convulsions. Marin was taken to a hospital where he was pronounced dead.

Prosecutors said Marin could have spent 16 years in prison. A father of four and a grandfather, was found guilty of torching his $3.5million mansion because he could no longer afford the mortgage payment.

Marin attended Yale Law School and was a successful Wall Street trader. He collected art including Picasso sketches and described himself as a ‘careful thrill seeker’ after scaling Mount Everest.

Toxicology tests are being carried out on the 53-year-old’s body along with the water bottle he drank from.