WAUKESHA, WI. (THECOUNT) — Darrell E. Brooks Jr., the suspect in a deadly Waukesha Christmas parade vehicle ramming, was released on bail twice in Wisconsin this year despite having an active warrant out of Nevada, court records show.
Brooks, 39, was freed by two separate judges on low-cost bail, records show.
First for $500 in February after allegedly shooting at his nephew the previous summer and again for $1,000 earlier this month after a woman accused him of punching her and running her over with the same SUV that allegedly plowed through Waukesha’s Christmas parade, killing five and injuring 48, reports Fox6Now.
Brooks, who has battery charges and firearms offenses dating back to 1999, was convicted of statutory sexual seduction, a felony, in 2006 after having sex with a 15-year-old girl in Nevada. She became pregnant. He received three years of probation and became a registered sex offender.
Then in 2016, Nevada authorities charged him again with violating the state’s sex crime laws – and he allegedly skipped bail and fled the region. He is still the subject of an active warrant in connection with that case, authorities there said, and they believed him to be in Wisconsin but had no actionable intelligence about his whereabouts.
But despite finding himself in custody in Wisconsin twice after that, he managed to avoid being turned over to Nevada investigators and re-obtained his freedom both times before Waukesha police captured him Sunday evening following the deadly parade attack.
Waukesha District Attorney Susan L. Opper told Fox News Digital that while Wisconsin has no option to hold a suspect without bail, she planned to ask the court to set his so high in connection with the Christmas massacre that he’d have no chance of posting it.