37 children, ages 6-12 years old, and two adults were sickened after a chlorine spill closed the the pool at the Downtown Durham YMCA Tuesday, police said.
Six children were hospitalized in serious condition in the incident that occurred at the YMCA, located at 218 W Morgan St.
The patients were transported to Duke University Hospital and to Duke Regional Hospital. Around 35 to 40 children and adults were in the pool at the time of the incident, officials said. Foster Street is closed from Morgan to Corporation streets; Seminary Avenue is blocked off from Foster Streets to Rigsbee Avenue. Rigsbee Avenue is shut down from Seminary Avenue to Morgan Street; Two lanes of Morgan Street are open. source
HAZMAT crews are currently working to get inside the facility and find the leak.